Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Week One in the Philippines

Dear Family and Friends

Well I made it! It has been a long week, but I made it.  So we got to Manila Tuesday night and stayed at a really nice hotel. the next morning we got up and caught our plane to Naga which is a little tiny airport. The mission president and a lot of missionaries where there to greet us and take us back to the mission home.  We stayed there and he talked to us.  Then we met our trainers.  My companion is Sister Maghanoy she is from the Philippines.  She is so sweet. This is her last area and she leaves for home in 6 weeks.   I am trying to send pictures, but I don't think it is working on this computer. 


We spent the night at the mission home because our assigned area is about 3 hours from the Mission home and we didn't have time to go there that night.  Also we found out what mission we will be in because the area we are in now we will be there for at least 12 weeks.  It looks like I will be in the Legasbi Mission starting in July.  The area I am in is called Ginonbaton, it is an hour from Legasbi, and we are actually opening a new area that has not had sisters in it before. That is exciting, but also means that we are starting from scratch.  Although there has been Elders here before so we are working with them and helping them out. We met with the ward council on Sunday and proposed a plan to get more people attending church and to find more people to teach, they were a little hesitant at first, but i think we got them excited.   I really don't understand anything that anyone is saying to me I just smile and laugh because filipinos love to laugh. A lot of them know english and they think it is so funny that my last name is Richins or 'Rich' 'ins".  And they always ask what are you rich in? These people come from such humble places, it is crazy.  On Saturday we went to Legaszbi for community service project of planting mangroves   All the members were so excited and they had a huge program before about how the environment needs our help and  they are so glad that we were all there to help.  The service project itself lasted about 30 minutes. It was good, but soooooo hot!!!!!!


On Sunday we wend to our ward and it was very nice they had 4 new missionaries speak(2 elders, 2 sisters).  I said 2  minutes in Tagalog and sat down, and they probably had no idea what I was talking about then another guy got up and gave a talk in Bicol which is another Dialect here so I couldn't understand even a little.   The language is frustrated and it is hard not being able to understand, but I am grateful for my patience companion who is helping me.  She says she will help me learn Tagalog if I help her improve her English. The language will come with patience.  It is just hard not to be able to say anything in lessons, but it will come.

-Sister Richins

No comments:

Post a Comment